Hello everyone, where to begin??? First of all thank you very much to each and every person who supported this return mission to Ethiopia, whether you gave financially or supported me through prayer, a very huge thank you!!!
For what you are about to read would not have happened any other way, except through your support. If anyone reading this has ever doubted the existence of a great, mighty and awesome God I pray you will never doubt again.

I really want to tell the last story first but I will keep this chronological so it will make sense. So I had a total of just about forty hours from the time my feet hit Ethiopian soil until I had to board my flight home. Not much time so I knew I had to remain focused but allow for African timing which also turned out to be God's timing!!! I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish but two were top priority, seeing Gabriel and finding out what the future holds for him and looking for Mulugojamsehi (Mulu) and Ademechsehi (the two street girls who crawled into my heart when I was last there)

So first morning, I headed off to Kidane, they did not know I was coming so it was a huge surprise to everyone!!! There is one worker who I have a special bond with and the timing for my arrival was perfect. There was a truck blocking the walkway up as they are getting ready to pave the parking area so I had to walk around one side of the building and through another to exit on the other side to go into the care home. While on this walk around I found her sitting outside sorting food. She was all on her own!!! I tapped the glass and if I could show you her expression upon seeing me you would just smile. The first thing that crossed her face was disbelief, almost like she thought she was seeing something that was not real. Then an ear to ear smile as she jumped and came around and proceeded to hug me for a very long time. My friend with whom I stayed, thank you again, was able to translate for me things that I had wanted to say to her when I was here last time. I then saw Sister Lutgarda and spoke with her briefly, she looked more frail then I remember her being and also tired. I found out from her that since Gabriel has no papers, and unless the government changes he will not, so he will remain at Kidane. This was very disappointing news to say the least. I proceeded to head upstairs to see Gabriel who is now in the toddler room which is the first room as you round the corner. I walked in and he was sitting on the changing table. I looked him in the eye and the worker saw me and came over to hug me then she put Gabriel down and encouraged him to come to me. I was not prepared for my emotional reaction to this moment. Tears just ran down my face. The emaciate sickly baby was now a walking, talking, mischievous toddler. I held him in my arms and he pointed to the door so I took him for a walk down to the baby room. I then was greeted so warmly by all the workers in there, lots of hugs and shock that I was there. Gabriel was sleepy so after a few minutes he put his head on my chest and fell asleep, a lot like old times. I held him for quite a while before I laid him down. I needed to lay him down because I had a small window of time to give the workers donations from us. I was able to give them nearly half a years salary, they were so grateful as their salaries barely put a roof over their heads and provide food for them. There were two workers from the second shift I wanted to see in person and I knew I would not have time to go back the next day so it was arranged through some of the workers this day that they would meet me out front. One of them no longer works at Kidane and she took two shared taxis to come see me, bless. She had gotten sick several months ago and looked like she had aged quite a bit, she did not look like a 24 year old at all. I found out she had been to the doctor and was getting better. She also told me she is in cosmetology school which suits her so much more. I had a driver for my two days there so we drove her home and had quite a bit of time to talk. With our donation to her she is now able to pay the remainder of her tuition as well as have quite a bit left over.

1 comment:

Alli said...

Hello, I am planning on volunteering in Ethiopia next year and have been looking at Kidane Mehret! I talked to Sr Lutgarda and she says that there are shared lodgings and a kitchen you can cook in. Have you stayed there? If so, what is it like?

Allison

allirenae@gmail.com