We spent about an hour bartering at different shops for mattresses and blankets.Then got some shoes and socks for Aleteseb. Then we headed home. There was a crowd gathering around as the mattresses were carried into this area. I do not know if I can put into words what I saw and I did not feel right photographing what I was seeing, I will do my best. We walked down a dirt path which had a center channel that had human waste and garbage running down it. I had to step over this so we could go down an even narrower rock and dirt path. We passed many shanties until we arrived at their front door. It was corrugated metal and about two feet wide. The roof was sticks and hay with a portion having a tarp. The walls were wooden poles with tarps tied to them with openings on the top on either side which meant there is no privacy from your neighbors. One of the openings had a dangling lightbulb which served as the light for two families. The room they lived in was about the size of a queen sized mattress, remember there are seven of them. When you entered, on either side, was what would act as couches. They were four wooden poles tied together about two and half feet long by a foot deep and maybe eight inches off the ground, the part you sat on was a tied on piece of tarp. Just behind the front door and next to one of the couches was a small pile of clothes on the other side of this couch was a cupboard for their dishes. Behind this cupboard on the floor was a tarp, the family bed. I was offered to take a seat which I happily did, this shanty that served as their house was truly a home, you could feel the love within those tarp walls. I was proud to be welcomed into their lives no matter how brief this appointment was to last, I was honored to be there. We began to talk about various things, it was nice to just relax and enjoy them as a family. To watch them interact was lovely. Then we asked the few people that were hanging around to leave and Aleteseb was asked to close the door. I told Eyob to tell Dangew and Genete what I was about to tell them verbatim. I went on to say that children are a blessing from God and that he was blessed five times. I began to cry as I told him I cannot have children but that the children of the world are my children. Two years ago his daughters crawled into my heart and that is why I am here today. Many people in America know about his daughters and want to help but he cannot mess this up or his children will pay for his mistake. This could be the beginning of something big if he would just follow what he is being told to do. I told him short of finances running out or them messing up I will do whatever I can to raise support to help his family for as long as we can. If his daughters go to school because he has followed through, in time his sons will go to school but start when they are supposed to. He listened and agreed to do what was being asked of him. He thanked me by getting down and kissing my feet, my knees, my hands, my checks and the top of my head. I was silenced by this mans humility in front of his wife and children. Then he looked at Eyob and asked "when is she coming back?" I told him that I did not know when I would be back but would love it to be within the year but I was making no guarantees or promises. That is why I can access the bank account, in case the time arrives to add money and I am not there. Then what happened next was about to be the hardest "no" I have ever had to utter in my life. He looked directly at me and said when you return, Mulu is yours, you may have my daughter as your daughter and take her with you. I was weeping as I told him that she belonged with her family, there is love here and to take her from that would be wrong, I want to help them as a family and keep them together. He told me he is promising me Mulu and I must think about it so that when I return she is mine. I would love a daughter but this little girl has parents and siblings, to take her from that would be gut wrenching for her and I do not want to be the cause of pain to her. Perhaps I will take her away from the lifestyle she leads and be able to offer her more things then she has there but I cannot give her what exists in that home. We then all hugged over and over and took a few photos. I did not feel comfortable taking photos of there home but told him I wanted photos of me with them so when I return they have proof it is me just like this time when I showed the girls the photos of us they knew I was who I was saying I was. So we took a few photos. They then all walked me to the car where we had our final good byes. As Dangew kissed my hands one last time he reminded me that Mulu was now my daughter. We waved as long as we could see each other. I was not sad as I know I will be back and I pray that Dangew makes wise chooses for his family.

So what are the next courses of action? I have sent an email to Eyob so he can messages me as to whether they were able to enroll in school or have to wait until next year. I need to reach out to some people in Addis about helping me find affordable housing for this family that has water and electricity and is in a safer area. I need to find a better doctor to look at Genete so she can get healthy and take care of her children better. Please pray that the right doors will open for this family and that God will guide me to whom I need to speak to on their behalf so this cycle can be broken and in turn they will give back one day.

To all the people who so generously donated to Mission Ethiopia I say a huge thank you or as we say in Ethiopia Betam Ahmesegenalew!!!! Dangew, Genete, Aleteseb, Ademech, Mulugojamsehi, Mandaferoo and Anemut send many ahmesegenalew's to all of you as well. This is the beginning of a story for a family, the rest of the chapters are up to them. I pray they are wise so we can continue to help them, I will keep you posted as I am updated. Have a lovely rest of your day and God bless all of you for catching the vision of Mission Ethiopia...

No comments: