A bit about me

I would like to take a few minutes to do something I do not usually do, at least not en masse. I would like to share my heart as well as some struggles. These past few weeks have been up and down for me and I am working on keeping more even keeled. I am in a current nanny position until the beginning of January and I would love to be heading back to Ethiopia at that point but short of a miracle (which I am 100% open to) I will not be. I have been interviewing for my next position and had it narrowed down to two families. Making this decision to commit to a family was, to say the least, very difficult. It felt like failure and defeat, not to me personally (well maybe a little) but to all of the hopes and dreams of helping the people in Ethiopia sooner rather than later. At a dinner with three amazing woman last week they were able to encourage me to see how short a year is and to be wise and use this time to stay focused on the goals. So that is what I am doing. I have accepted a job and will continue to fund raise and educate myself on how to generate sustainable income for the homeless mothers in Ethiopia. Currently it looks as if jewelry making will be the way to go. I have a few people willing to teach me skills they posses and a woman who runs a fair trade business is helping me understand all of that. It is no accident who is being brought into my life!!! I have so many great ideas and even greater intentions but I must have the wisdom and knowledge to execute them or none of it will work. I do not want to go back and create a system that fails or relies upon me in any way. I must be able to walk away and let them stand on their own. I want to teach the teachable, give them skills so they can provide for their families. I know not every homeless woman will be on board because there are many people all over the world with a poverty mentality, this is not for them but rather for those who wish to pull themselves up and reach down and give a hand to pull the next one up. Woman who want to earn money to feed and educate their children so the cycle is broken!!! So this year (or less I pray, I am a fast learner) will be a huge time of learning for me; learning skills I currently do not posses, learning about business (pray for me!!) and trying to get non profit statues (more prayer please) I want this done right and while I am going to make mistakes I do not want them to be at the expense of the people I am trying to help. So things to think about are do I have the jewelry sold there in local markets or here through fair trade shops? Either way I will pay the woman up front for their work, a fair wage, and use the additional income from the pieces selling to purchase supplies, pay rent on a space etc...



Another thing I have learned is faith is not faith when life is going how I want it to but rather when it all looks so bleak that I must trust God and you know what? It all works out as it should – the old saying “let go and let God” is so true!!! Yes, I am still learning. I went through such a huge personal journey while in Ethiopia and I am putting it into practice each and every day. I thank God for the people who have been on this journey with me, those who held my hand through the process and those who have accepted me at the other end. Life is a journey, one I wish to live to its fullest!!! Please continue to pray for this mission as well as for me during this learning period and beyond. I look forward to sharing updates on the progress with you and know I will get back there as soon as I can, equipped to make a difference not only in the lives of the children at the orphanage but to the homeless mothers and their children.



Thank you so much for your continued interest and support on this project that is in the hands of God.

No comments: